The Home Buyers Warranty: Ontario Has You Covered
The rights of home buyers in Ontario are protected by a private corporation called Tarion. The company administers the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act, which outlines the protection new home buyers in Ontario are entitled to.
Tarion also licenses new home builders and vendors, resolves disputes between buyers and builders, and investigates illegal building practices.
What New Home Buyers Should Know
The Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act was updated in 2009 and covers every kind of home in Ontario, including condominiums. The basics are as follows.
Every vendor of a home warrants to the owner
- that the home
- is constructed in a workmanlike manner and is free from defects in material
- is fit for habitation
- is constructed in accordance with the Ontario Building Code
- that the home is free of major structural defects as defined by the regulations
A warranty does not apply in respect of
- defects in materials, design and work supplied by the owner
- secondary damage caused by defects, such as property damage and personal injury
- normal wear and tear
- normal shrinkage of materials caused by drying after construction
- damage caused by dampness or condensation due to failure by the owner to maintain adequate ventilation
- damage resulting from improper maintenance
- alterations, deletions or additions made by the owner
- subsidence of the land around the building or along utility lines, other than subsidence beneath the footings of the building
- damage resulting from an act of God
- damage caused by insects and rodents, except where construction is in contravention of the Ontario Building Code
- damage caused by municipal services or other utilities
- surface defects in work and materials specified and accepted in writing by the owner at the date of possession
The George Sinclair Home Buyers Warranty, Ontario’s Best
Our reputation emerged and persists because of our commitment to quality. We work with trusted tradespeople who are as dedicated to customer satisfaction as we are.
We will always make right anything that we ourselves would not be satisfied with in our own families’ homes. You can also rest assured that with our long established history, if you ever should need us, we’ll still be in business.
Learn more about the high quality homes in our new community or stop by our model home today.